Nigerian Cookbooks and more "419"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 23 18:08:16 UTC 2004

   The bookstore was outside of this area in the Lagos Airport, and you need a visa stamp to exit.  Fortunately, I was, uh, friendly with the guard.  Waiting outside at the airport bookstore were the riches I had come for.
   Nigerian cuisine certainly isn't one of the world's major cuisines, but there are about 130 million people here and they speak English.

419 SCAM:
EXPLOITS OF THE NIGERIAN CON MAN
by Charles Tive
Revised Edition
Published by:  Chicha Favours
               chicha51 at hotmail.com
Printed by:  Image Concept Ltd.
             Imageconcept at yahoo.com
Copyright   Charles Tive (2001)
All Inquiries:  419book at mail.com
                charlestive at hotmail.com
                tivect at yahoo.com
First printed 2001
Revised edition 2002
Paperback, 158 pages

Pg. 1:  Black money (wash-wash)
Pg. 9:  Though this section has been engraved in the Nigerian criminal code since 1958, it was just a "section" like any of the five hundred and twenty one sections in the code and did not beg for particular attention or dinstinction from other offenses in the code.  However, historical circumstances orchestrated by socio-economic changes made this aspect of crime extensive.

Pg. 32:  It is unfortunate, and unfair, that these good folks are often subjected to suspicion and harassment as suspected "419ners."

EATERIES SURVEY:
A DIRECTORY OF MAJOR RESTAURANTS, HOTELS, EATERIES AND NIGHT CLUBS IN NIGERIA
Lagos: Nelag & Company Limited
128 pages, paperback
(No date--ed.)

Pg. 87:  SECTION SIX
RECIPES OF SOME NIGERIAN DISHES AND SORTS
Pg. 100:  RECIPES OF SOME NIGERIAN DISHES
   NCHANWU SOUP
Pg. 101:  UKAZI ACHARA SOUP
Pg. 102:  AFUGURI DELIGHT
Pg. 103:  ARIAKO OKOHO CHICKEN...
   OWO WITH OGHEDE
Pg. 104:  OGHEDE (BOILED UNRIPE PLANTAIN)
   AVOCADO PEAR WITH PALMWINE (DESSERT)
Pg. 105:  CHAM-CHAM
   OKRO SOUP WITH DRY FISH WITH AMALA
Pg. 106:  AMALA (YAM FLOUR)...
   SWEET HONEY NAKEYA (DESSERT)
Pg. 107:  DINKI PEPPER SOUP
Pg. 108:  GETHAN...
   CHIWO DRINK
Pg. 109:  ATIBA
Pg. 110:  SOYABEAN PLANTAIN POTTAGE
Pg. 111:  CASSAVA BALLS WITH PINEAPPLE DRINK
Pg. 112:  SINASIR
Pg. 113:  MIYAN TAUSHE
Pg. 114:  GLOSSARY
NCHANWU OR EFFIRIN OR NTONG:  Leafy vegetable with a characteristic aroma used in food preparation.
NGARA-AZU:  Ibo word for a particular smoked fish.
ACHARA:  SPecial type of grass in which the inner tender part is used in soup preparation.
UKAZI:  Ibo word for green leafy vegetable shredded and used in soup preparation.
ACHII:  Seed from a particular tree, ground and used in soup as thickener.
USU:  Fungal growth on trees used as a binding agent in ground egusi form ball and used in soup preparation.
MKPURUSU:  Ibo word for melon balls.
DINKI:  Hausa word for a particular leaf used by the people of Jaba in Kaduna State for food preparation.
NATIVE BEANS:  Black-eyed beans with specks having a characteristic flavour.
CHIWO:  Hausa word for fruit used in drinks preparation.

NIGERIAN VEGETABLES
by P. O. Fayemi
Idaban:  Heineman Educational Books (Nigeria) PLC
327 pages, paperback
1999

   Lots of recipes and descriptions here.  I can't summarize it.  Only one was on the store shelf, and I probably will keep it.

NIGERIAN COOKBOOK
by Miriam Isoun and H. O. Anthonio
Port Harcourt, Nigeria and Cambridge, MA
266 pages, paperback
First published 1982
Reprinted 1983, 1985
Published by Macmillan Publishers
London and Basingstoke
Revised Edition
First published 2002

   This book probably can be found somewhere in the U.S.  I'll provide Bonnie Slotnick's bookstore with a copy if you want to buy it from her.
   A few full-color pictures are here.  The recipes are simply and understandably given.  A very helpful book.  Some examples:

Pg. 64:  Frejon
   Cowpea, coconut and sugar dish.
Pg. 69:  Moyin-Moyin
   Seasoned steamed cowpea paste.
Pg. 112:  Banga (Palm-Fruit) Soup with Goat or Bush-Meat
Pg. 133:  Imoyo Eleja
   Fresh Fish in Marinade.
   This is a recipe of Brazilian origin, popular among Lagos indigenes.  It has chunks of boned fish in a chopped tomato, onion and fresh pepper marinade spiced with garlic and African black pepper, tossed in a light oil, vinegar and stock dressing.
Pg. 138:  Agbono with Fresh Fish and Locust Bean Stew
Pg. 160:  Okazi Soup
   Popular Ibo soup.
Pg. 166:  Shrimp Jollof Rice
   Jollof rice of various types is popular throughout Nigeria, particularly for special occasions.
Pg. 202:  Ghanaian Dodo (kelewele)
Pg. 214:  Zobo Drink
Pg. 215:  Icheku Drink
Pg. 218:  Chin-Chin
   These are small, crunchy chunks of fried sweetened dough.

FOOD IS READY:
AWC COOKBOOK
LAGOS, NIGERIA
Revised Edition of
Cookin' in Paradise "...Food is Ready"
Edited by Annette Quimby
American Women's Club of Lagos
Lagos, Nigeria 1999
315 pages, paperback
(First edition 1993--ed.)

   Perhaps this can't be found in the U.S., but the recipes are more American than the cookbook above.  Upon closer examination, it's a complete waste of money and a mistake purchase.  Not African at all!

Pg. 23:  TEX-MEX FROZEN MARGARITAS  (See what I mean?--ed.)