Jinx (1907, 1909, 1910)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sat Jan 24 05:24:28 UTC 2004

Yes, the first Cincinnati team was the "Red Stockings" (aka "Red Legs") in
1869. The modern National League team dates to 1890. The name was soon
clipped to "Reds." During the Cold War, some suggested the Reds change their
name, but they never officially did. Diehard fans claimed that they had the
name first and it was the Russians who should change.

The original Cincinnati team disbanded in 1871. Many of the players then
came to Boston and formed a new "Red Stockings" team. That team was gone by
the 1880s. The the American League formed a Boston team in 1901, which
played under various names until they took the name of the older Boston team
in 1906.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net