Fwd: Re: Montagnards & 9 yards proposal

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Jan 25 17:49:35 UTC 2004

>It doesn't constitute proof--text is better than memory--but it does
>indeed lend some measure of support, as I wrote. Only the degree is a question.

I agree. However recorded proof (i.e., text from the time in question) is
of very MUCH greater value than recollections later IMHO.

>The connection with Vietnam is practically speaking almost ineluctable

This is somewhat contradictory to the above assertion. On the Web and in
personal correspondence I've encountered several recollections -- with
details -- of TWNY back to ca. 1950 (less detailed or second-hand, back to
ca. 1940). If recollection unsupported by text or equivalent is of
significant value one should think WW II rather than Vietnam.

I think in general hypothesizing without data is useful for direction of
research, i.e., suggesting where to look for the data.

Sometimes these casual notions are fun though.

Dennis Preston (for example) could easily produce several imaginary
Japanese-English-military-pidgin mondegreens from the Occupation of Japan
(ca. 1945-50) which account for TWNY and which are not particularly
implausible, should he feel so inclined. All one would need is documentary
support ....

-- Doug Wilson