Thank all you for thinking about question

Mon Jan 26 18:16:26 UTC 2004

My first impulse was to do a Google search, which turns up what appear to be
a number of examples of the genuine thing (though the first one in the list is
clearly non-native speaker: "Thank all you for maintain my hope in U.S.").
And of course a number of the hits don't count, since the phrase in question is
embedded in phrases such as , "I want to. ..." But not all of them are.

That said, I'm also very sympathetic to Fillmore's intuitions. My intuition
tells me that I would "have to" say "Thanks to you all for ..." or "Thanks to
all you [+noun] for ... ," e.g., "Thanks to all you good people for ...". But
I'm not convinced, either, that I have never said it the way Wayne said it. If
people still believed in a competence/performance distinction, this would be a
very good example of the difference, it seems to me.