YOU ALL is not Y'ALL

J. Eulenberg eulenbrg at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Jan 26 19:54:05 UTC 2004

Okay, here is my take on this.  If you all don't mind.

When I say you all to a group (and I rarely do anymore, except in jest),
I am speaking collectively.  "Isn't it funny how you all say things," e.g.
The phrase is run together, and neither you nor all is given greater
emphasis.

When I say "I want you all to eat your dinner," I emphasize the "all."
As if to say "that means YOU" to each one of the three children sitting
there looking sullen.  And I might follow it up by saying "I mean it!"

If I were the newsman thanking "you all four," I'm sure I would emphasize
both the all and the four, almost as if they were set off by commas ("I
want to thank you, all four, for coming"), almost as if the "of you" had
been dropped -- "you, all four of you. . . .")  But I didn't hear the
broadcast, so I don't know what he actually did.

Julia Niebuhr Eulenberg <eulenbrg at u.washington.edu>