or either ... one

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Tue Jan 27 03:35:34 UTC 2004

I first heard this from my Oklahoma-born sister-in-law, but she didn't
include "either."  She'd say, e.g., "I have to buy some cookies or make
some, one"--with a slight pause and a rising and falling intonation on
"one."  Michael Montgomery once asked how far this usage extended, and I
noted that I hear it occasionally in southern Ohio, but not nearly as much
as from my sister-in-law.