1913 "gazipe" newspaper article in full

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Jan 27 17:21:27 UTC 2004

Here's the 1913 "gazipe" item I promised to type in full, spotted by
Douglas Wilson and available on newspaperarchive.com. It's in
_Sheboygan Press_, Wisconsin, 3/25/1913, p. 4/2-3 (a few days
earlier: _Stevens Point Daily Journal_, Wisconsin, 3/20/1913, p. ?;
cols. 2 3) and now appears below my signoff.

Gerald Cohen

[title]: 'Stories from the Big Cities'; [subtitle]: '"Gazipe" Latest
Term for a Wood Pile Denizen'
[col. 2--cartoon shows 4 men, one sitting down and peering towards a
document that a second is holding up for view while pointing to a
word or line on the document and saying: "THERE'S A GAZIPE. SEE IT?"
Two other men are looking on with a concerned intent look, clearly
trying to spot or understand what their colleague is pointing to]
        'St. Louis, Mo. -- Gazipe!
        'There it is: Look out for it! It will get you if you don't.
Let no guilty gazipe escape.
        'The gazipe made its debut at a special performance with the
legislative committee of the city council for an audience. It was
presented by a theatrical manager, Frank R. Tate.  The appearance of
the gazipe was unannounced and it created a sensation.
        'Discussing the pending bill which would require all St.
Louis theaters to comply with the building and fire protection laws