Is "Opportunistic" Acquiring a Neutral Meaning?

Joyce, Thomas F. TJoyce at BELLBOYD.COM
Tue Jan 27 20:49:07 UTC 2004

I had to explain to somebody that "opportunistic" connotes
"unprincipled." He professed ignorance and said he was using the word to
mean something like "seeking opportunities energetically," claiming that
in certain commercial contexts he had encountered the word with that
sense.  Am I out of touch with this change of meaning?

This discussion was not in a medical context, where opportunistic is
used to describe certain types of infections, or in a technical context,
where a quick Google search suggests opportunistic has sometimes been
used in a neutral sense or in a sense consistent with "mindless"
exploitation of a system.

The information contained in this e-mail message may be
privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, any further
disclosure or use, dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
If you think that you have received this e-mail message in
error, please delete it and notify the sender.