Request I received concerning German-translation softwares

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Tue Jan 27 21:41:54 UTC 2004

Many of my students have no idea how to use a foreign language dictionary, even though I tell them again and again.  They simply go to some site like translator.com (I do not know if this is really a name, I'm just making it up.) and plug in what they want.  Often, if they plug in one word, they can get away with it, but at the sentence level, what they get is almost always mumbo-jumbo, especially if they want a past-tense sentence (from English into German).  However, even one word translations render nonsense.  Here is one of my favorites:  Brunnen, brunnen, Sprung bruch war sehr spass (Well, well, spring break was a lot of fun).  Those of you who read German will see the many mistakes.  Not only have several English words been translated to the wrong German words, but there is an idiomatic problem as Brunnen (well).
How does one translate (from English to German) the word 'get'?  A buddy of mine from grad school came up with a list of German translations--there were about 30 German words for English 'get.'  I don't think any translation program is ready for this yet.
Fritz Juengling
>>> gcohen at UMR.EDU 01/27/04 10:22AM >>>
Today I received a request from a student concerning translation
softwares.  Would anyone on this ads-l list be able to provide him
advice/guidance? I'm not familiar with this subject. Are we perhaps
still at the stage where human translators are required?

Gerald Cohen