mmmkay? and its kin

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Fri Jul 2 01:29:44 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larissa H. Chen"

> I haven't studied this at all, but I have watched South Park.  Mmmkay
> was sort of a signature phrase of one of the characters (Mr. Mackey),
> who ended most, if not all, sentences with it.
>
> FWIW.
>
> Larissa

My kids(13 and 17) agree with the South Park/Mr. Mackey origin.

But, since Parker and Davis made a short film in 1991 which was the genesis
of the later series, someone should look at that film.  Read the "Series
history" in the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park#Series_history

Of course, Barry will no doubt find it in the 19th Century. :)

There is a usenet posting on 1 Feb. 1993 for "MMkay" used in the sense that
we're talking about.  I think that predates the actual South Park series.

Sam Clements