Hipsterati; "De-Lovely" review; Where Now?: Jim Crotty

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 3 03:42:26 UTC 2004

OT: "DE-LOVELY" REVIEW

   DE-LOVELY is a new movie about Cole Porter, starring Kevin Kline and my
beautiful wife Ashley Judd.  Say that you're a reviewer and that you don't find
it delightful or delicious.  What would you call it?
   From the NEW YORK SUN, July 2-4, 2004, pg. 20, col. 2:

   "De-Lovely" (PG-13, 125 mins.) is de-lousy.

(GOOGLE)
Amazon.com: Music: De-Lovely [SOUNDTRACK]... De-Lovely is De-Lousy! An
Abomination!, June 30, 2004, Reviewer: Phil ... Porter's music. "De-Lovely" is De-
Lousy! Was this review helpful to you? ...
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ tg/detail/-/B00023GGHQ?v=glance - 63k - Jun 30,
2004 - Cached - Similar pages

New Movie Shorts... Tempting to call it "de-lousy" and be done with it, but
Irwin Winkler's ... De-Lovely's shocking revelation is that behind the bubbling
wit was a reservoir of pain ...
citypaper.net/articles/current/movshts.shtml - 16k - Jul 1, 2004 - Cached -
Similar pages

The Village Voice: Theater: Thames the Breaks by David Finkle... performances
from his troupe, he's inexplicably dropped many of the Cole Porter lyrics to
"You're the Top" and "It's De-Lovely." And that's de-lousy, like so ...
www.villagevoice.com/issues/0306/finkle.php - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

HIPSTERATI

HIPSTERATI--142 Google hits, 2 Google Groups hits

"I hate these hipsterati Manhattan wimps."
--METRO (NY free newspaper), July 2-5, 2004, pg. 10, col. 1.

   This "-erati" seems to be a new, New York City-based term.  It's used in
both Manhattan and Brooklyn.

(GOOGLE)
Gothamist: Williamsburg: Victimized by its own Hipness
... There's also some bleating about Williamsburg being played out, too full
of wannabe
hipsters, dirty, the word "hipsterati," how the East Village is real and ...
www.gothamist.com/archives/2003/07/
28/williamsburg_victimized_by_its_own_hipness.php - 45k - Cached - Similar pages

Bollywood Disco: 1st Anniversary - May 21, 2003
... 15, 2002 founder DJ Rekha has dusted off the musical gems of Bombay for a
core audience
of Bollywood fanatics and a growing number of New York’s hipsterati. ...
www.salaamtheatre.org/bollydisco2003.html - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

CMJ.com: new music first
... LIARS LINKS official site RECORD LABEL Mute, LIARS: Artist Spotlight Two
years ago,
Liars were the shimmying ambassadors of the Brooklyn hipsterati, launching a
www.cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=545460 - 17k - Cached - Similar
pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: He's Got His Moe-jo Workin'
... the stock car is fun," he exclaims. Reaching out to the hipsterati
does have its limits, however. When asked if he has any plans ...
mn.politics - Jul 25, 2002 by American - View Thread (2 articles)

ADS-L "WHERE ARE THEY NOW?"
--JIM CROTTY

   News reports of my 1970s chess friend Sam Sloan, of Ronald Reagan, and of
Bill Clinton have me nostalgic for the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.  I checked up
on some ADS-L nostalgia.  What the hell happened to Jim Crotty?
   Seven years ago, in July 1997, he came out with HOW TO TALK AMERICAN.
Then, his Monk Magazine published guidebooks of New York CIty and California.  A
check of Amazon.com for HOW TO TALK AMERICAN shows this:

Customers who bought titles by James Marshall Crotty also bought titles by
these authors:

Allan Metcalf
Robert Blumenfeld
Laurie Bauer
University of Chicago Press Staff

   There are these Google hits.

(GOOGLE)
James Crotty
All Contents Copyright © James Crotty Website Developed by Monk Media.
www.jamescrotty.com/biography.html - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

MONK - Slant
The Monk Makes the Scene by James Crotty June 15, 2002. THE MONK MAKES
THE SCENE. fter watching the Independent Spirit Awards on Bravo ...
www.monk.com/display.php?p=Slant&id=6 - 20k - Cached - Similar pages

   The Monk Magazine site hasn't had a new post in over two years.  I knew
that the road was a dead end for the Monks--they can't compete with LONELY
PLANET and LET'S GO in the travel guide field.   Their New York City and California
guides are no longer being sold.   A growing internet has seemingly passed
the Monks by.
   HOW TO TALK AMERICAN was an interesting hodge-podge collection of slang,
collected without historical sources.  But where was Crotty going with all
this?  What would he do next?
   A check of "Jim Crotty" + "Monk" on Google Groups shows only 25 hits, and
only one since 2001.  Was HOW TO TALK AMERICAN the end of the road for him?
   Thus ends our July 4th special feature, ADS-L "Where Are They Now?"