the respelling tactic

Sat Jul 3 23:31:45 UTC 2004

On Jul 4, 2004, at 3:20 AM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

>> Once again arnold gets to say all the clever stuff, and I follow up
>> with the references.

i am a lazy person, and good at getting other people to do my work for
me.  this is why we have grad students, no?  (now, if only i could get
an institution to pay me to get other people to do my work for me...)

>> Readers intereted in (some of) the social
>> meansings of respellings should consult the special issue of the
>> Journal of Sociolinguistics (ed. by Alexandra Jaffe) on just this
>> topic. It's Volume 4, #4, November 2000.

good reference.  thanks, dInIs.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu), working at home, away from his
office/library/study