mmmkay? and its kin

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sun Jul 4 12:23:44 UTC 2004

>Has anyone yet speculated that "mmmkay" may be a blend of the first
>part of the variant of uh-huh which is completely nasal, plus the
>second part of "OK," or is that too obvious to even note?

It's not entirely obvious to me, at any rate. "Mmmmkay" might on the
other hand be a combination of "Hmmmmm" + "OK." If so, one would
expect to find a distribution in which "mmmkay" would indicate less
certainty than "uh-huh" or "OK," putting aside the back-channel uses
of all of them, itself a difficult task.

dInIs