Shaken, not stirred (1965); Stir, don't shake (1963)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 6 00:34:49 UTC 2004

SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED

SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED--44,400 Google hits, 25,400 Google Groups hits
STIRRED, NOT SHAKEN--3,600 Google hits, 1,760 Google Groups hits

   This is one of the most famous drinking lines in history, certainly in
cinematic history.  I couldn't find much on it before a Bond article of 1965.
   But see the 1963 citation below.  Fleming orders his martini stirred, not
shaken!  I'm both shaken and stirred by this.

(PEOQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("shaken, not stirred")
    1.  Agent 007 Embarks On a Final Escapade
By Robert G. Kaiser Special to The Washington Post. The Washington Post,
Times Herald (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Apr 2, 1965. p. A10 (1 page) :
   When this last book is read, he will never be back again.  It will take a
lot of very dry vodka martinis--shaken, not stirred--to fill the void.

    2.  Not Shaken, Not Stirred, but Programed; Wide Variety of Ideas Covered
By Patents Issued During Week
By STACY V. JONESSpecial to The New York Times. New York Times (1857-Current
file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 26, 1968. p. 51 (2 pages)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("stirred, not shaken")
    1.  For Gourmets and Others: Sunday Morning 'Brunch'; The Word May Not Be
Elegant, but It Can Mean Good Food, at Home or in the Restaurants That
Specialize in Breakfast-Luncheon Restaurant Specialties The Stirrup Cup
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb 12, 1939. p. 55 (1
page) :
   A more highfaultin' suggestion is a drink called
velvet," a concoction of port and champagne.  He also suggests what he calls
a gold medal, made of two-thirds French vermouth, a sixth kirschwasser, a
sixth raspberry liquor or grenadine.  This is to be stirred, not shaken.

    2.  A James Bond Movie Quiz
BY FRANK DiLLON. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.:
Nov 18, 1983. p. WK21 (1 page)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("shake, don't stir")
OPENINGS
The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: May 17, 1987. p.
152 (1 page)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS) ("stir, don't shake")
    1.  Display Ad 11 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb 24, 1945. p. 4 (1
page)

    2.  Display Ad 10 -- No Title
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Apr 4, 1945. p. 14 (1
page)

    3.  Display Ad 27 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 9, 1945. p. 6 (1
page)

    4.  Display Ad 18 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Sep 20, 1945. p. 4 (1
page)

    5.  Display Ad 11 -- No Title
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Dec 7, 1945. p. 13 (1
page)

    6.  Display Ad 46 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 8, 1945. p. 15 (1
page)

    7.  Display Ad 19 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May 16, 1946. p. 4 (1
page)

    8.  Display Ad 10 -- No Title
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: May 21, 1946. p. 12 (1
page)

    9.  ANOTHER WORLD; The Bond Between James and Ian
HERB CAEN. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: May
31, 1963. p. A6 (1 page) :
   "What will u=you drink?"
   "Martinis," we said.
   Swiftly assessing the cryptic word, he summoned a waiter with a commanding
flick of his head.  "Two martinis, very dry," he ordered.  "Four and a
quarter parts of Coates' Plymouth gin to five eighths of a part of Boissiere, the
white vermouth.  On the rocks.  Noi lemon peel, no onion, no live.  Stir, don't
shake."
(...)
   If the foregoing sounds like a pallid attempt to imitate the style of Ian
Gleming, creator of the James Bond stories--well, it is.  The gentleman
described above, with whom we were taking lunch in the admirrable surroundings of
Scott's, WAS Fleming, the successor to the Hammetts. the Greenes and the Amblers
as the world's best-selling author of international spy fiction.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
No hits for "shake, don't stir."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARRCHIVE.COM)
 Hammond Times  Sunday, October 20, 1957 Hammond, Indiana
...to five parts varnish. Then stir DON'T SHAKE it for 10 or 15 minutes.
Let.....needed to operate each of them. And DON'T get the idea that just because
an..

 Mansfield News     Wednesday, January 24, 1934 Mansfield, Ohio
...gin, one part Italian vermouth. STIR, DON'T SHAKE. Put olive in each glass
and.....j lipves the art will bo revived. You DON'T ?oak up all the liquor j
siglit..

OT:  NEW YORK DAILY NEWS ON FEUCHTWANGER & HOT DOGS

   Lenore Skenazy is a NEW YORK DAILY NEWS columnist.  She's a third rate
Maureen Dowd (if that's possible).  Many years ago, I won the first "Only in New
York Contest" by Lenore Skenazy and the DAILY NEWS.  When, a little later, I
told them that I'd solved "the Big Apple," the DAILY NEWS wouldn't run it and
never has.
   It doesn't get much worse than this.  From the SUNDAY NEW YORK DAILY NEWS,
4 July  2004, pg. 37, col. 4, "Skenazy's World" by Lenore Skenazy:

_It's a fine day_
_to say thanks,_
_Feuchtwanger_
(...)
   The point is, that very same year in that very same city at yet another
fair (thank you, St. Louis, and I'm sorry your date with history ends then and
there), Anton Ludwig Feuchtwanger invented the Feuchwanger-wich!
   This is the same sandwich that Coney Island also claims to have invented
back in 1867, but the 1904 story goes thusly:  Feuchtwanger was selling
slippery, naked sausages and lending his customers whote gloves so they wouldn't get
their fingers greasy.
   Unfortunately, those customers kept "forgetting" to return the gloves, to
the point where Feuchtwanger begged his brother, a baker, to invent something
else to stick the sausage in.
   "I'll show them where they can stick it!" crted the brother--his exact
words are lost to history--handing Anton a soft, fluffy bun.  Thus was the hot
dog-without-gloves born, perhaps again.  And, in a sense, so were we.

(I've got to watch the SECRET LIFE OF HAMBURGERS on the Food Network at ten
o'clock tonight, and then I'll kill myself--ed.)