"jimmies" in Philadelphia

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Tue Jul 6 13:41:20 UTC 2004

From:    Barbara Need <nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
: Mark Mandel wrote:

:: Just a few minutes ago, at a Ben & Jerry's ice cream shop here in
:: Philadelphia, I ordered my ice cream with sprinkles, according to
:: the option shown on the menu.  Working through our multi-part order,
:: the young woman behind the counter asked a moment later, "Did you
:: want that with jimmies?" I said, "Yes, please.... Did you say
:: 'jimmies'? I've hardly ever heard that word outside the Boston
:: area."  She said, "They say it quite a bit down
:: here, too."

<snip>

: Well, except that I lived near Philadelphia for three years (1978-9,
: 1980-2) and never heard 'jimmies' for sprinkles. And I would have
: noticed, I came down there from Massachusetts.

FTR, i first heard the term "jimmies" referring to what i grew up with (in
Southern Maryland) as "sprinkles" in Philadelphia. This would have been in
the early 90s.

David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx