Golden Triangles; OT: My lobby in NY Times

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 8 04:22:30 UTC 2004

   Sorry for the typing errors in my last post.  I was losing consciousness
at one point.

GOLDEN TRIANGLES

   I had dinner at Tara Thai at First Avenue near St. Mark's Place last
night.  The menu said its "golden triangles" were famous.  Google shows that many
Thai places offer this dish.
   There appears to be no relation to "golden arches" or to Archimedes
("golden crown").  Also, no relation to Pittsburgh's "golden triangle" (see ADS-L
archives).

GOLDEN TRIANGLES + THAI--110 Google hits, 20 Google Groups hits

(GOOGLE)
Thai's Restaurant
... APPETIZERS AP01 Golden Triangles.....4.50
Fresh tofu triangles, deep fried ... with a peanut sauce AP03 Thai Rolls ...
cambridge.zami.com/Thais - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

NYC Restaurant & Menu Guide. Menus, Ratings, Reviews. MenuPages ...
... pretty authentic. Tara Thai is very cheap considering how great their
food is. I love the golden triangles and the tofu panang. If ...
www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails. asp?neighborhoodid=0&restaurantid=2579 -
61k - Cached - Similar pages

Bangkok Blue
... something thrilling in every course: the shu mai, the golden triangles,
the chicken
rendang, the seafood in the choo chee fisherman, the homemade Thai custard.
www.bostonphoenix.com/archive/ food/97/05/08/BANGKOK_BLUE.html - 10k - Cached
- Similar pages

Fifty Plus Advocate Dining Review from September 20, 2001
... and considered the possibilities of a variety of dumplings ($4.95); Thai
spring
rolls ... We opted for the golden triangles of crispy tofu served with a
peanut ...
www.fiftyplusadvocates.com/yoongtongrestaurant.html - 11k - Cached - Similar
pages

Boston.com / A&E / Dining/Food
... We start with golden triangles ($4.95), warm wontons stuffed with ground
chicken and Thai herbs and served with a sweet and sour sauce. ...
www.boston.com/dining/globe_review/839 - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Baan Thai
... Golden Triangles 30 Pieces $33.00 Crispy triangles stuffed with a mixture
of minced ... Siam
Fried Rice $51.00 Thai native fried rice served with cucumber slices. ...
www.corpcatering.com/catermenu/tumrubthai_cmenu.html - 6k - Cached - Similar
pages

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
.   New Police Curb Drugs In SE Asia
The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Mar 3, 1972.
p. A2 (1 page):
   Ingersoll, testifying before the Senate Narcotics Subcommittee, said the
police program is aimed at the "golden triangle" border regions where Thailand,
Burma and Laos meet.

The Thai Connection
By LESTER WOLFF. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jul 2,
1972. p. E9 (1 page):
   Today, the greatest source of heroin supply in the world is found in the
"Golden Triangle" of Southeast Asia.

COMPLETELY OT:  MY LOBBY MAKES THE SUNDAY NEW YORK TIMES, JULY 4TH

   What could be next?  My studio apartment on Robin Leach's "Lifestyles of
the low-wage New York City civil servants"?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/04/realestate/04COV.html
When It Comes to the Lobby, Everyone Is a Decorator
By JOANNE KAUFMAN
Published: July 4, 2004
(...)
As that great sage and comic Jimmy Durante was wont to observe, "Everybody
wants to get into the act." Dennis Paget, president of the co-op board at 225
East 57th Street, said he could retire in comfort and style if he had a quarter
for each person who offered "expert" assistance during the building's lobby
renovation three years ago. "People I haven't heard from in 10 years about
anything started sending me notes, saying things like: `Why didn't you ask me to be
in charge? You should see my apartment. It's just beautiful,' " recalled Mr.
Paget, founder of Language American Style, a firm that teaches English to
international executives.

Ms. Marks, the designer, who ended up taking charge of her lobby's
renovation, said: "No one wants to be on a co-op board because it's a lot of work. But
they all think they're decorators."

The changes to her lobby included swapping the boxy-looking industrial
entryway fixtures for curved frosted glass. The carpet, which "looked like a rug
waiting to be replaced," was jettisoned, exposing the marble floor, Ms. Marks
said. The wood veneer on the walls was refurbished and a large container of
flowers was placed near the courtyard, she added.