"World War I, II" in Google Answers

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 9 04:22:38 UTC 2004

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=371070

Take from OED, steal from Fred Shapiro, collect two bucks!  Here's the
answer:

Subject: Re: World War I & II - when were these terms first used?
Answered By: actualwolf-ga on 07 Jul 2004 18:39 PDT
Rated:
Hi Victus-

According to the Oxford English Dictionary online, (OED is widely considered
to be THE "last word" on matters of English word usage") the phrase "world
war" first came into use in 1909 in the 8 April edition of the _Westminster
Gazette_

.However, this usage precedes the actual First World War. Similarly,the
phrase "World War 2" preceded the Second World War as well, whenused in reference
to an unrelated conflict by the _ManchesterGuardian_ on 18 February in 1919.

Interestingly enough, both World Wars I & II seem to have been namedas such
in one swoop by _Time_ magazine in its 11 September 1938 issue.

So, essentially World War I was called "The Great War" or "The War to End All
Wars," until the beginning of World War II, which was never commonly called
anything else.

I hope this answer is satisfactory and thank you for using Google Answers,

actualwolf

SITES USED:The Oxford English Dictionary Worldwidehttp://www.oed.com