extraordinary coordination

Alan Baragona abaragona at SPRYNET.COM
Sat Jul 10 19:13:32 UTC 2004

> arnold, who finds browning's coordination
> entirely grammatical, just challenging to interpret

To me, it seems crystal clear in print (expanded to "the uninsured, unable
to afford health insurance, have less access to [care] and receive inferior
care" with the bracketed word eliminating the need for his carefully placed
commas), but it might be challenging to interpret in speech.  One would have
to be very careful, pausing just right, so that it doesn't come out sounding
as if "inferior" is also governed by "access to" ("the uninsured, unable to
afford health insurance, have less access to [inferior care] and receive
inferior care").

Alan Baragona