upped/up?

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sun Jul 11 12:07:23 UTC 2004

Could the spellings we find historically and the
pronunciations which actually occur be at odds
here?

For "He upped and died,"

/hi^p?mdaId/

is my ordinary pronunciation (where ^ is wedge
and ? is a glottal stop, the latter perhaps
coarticularted with the [p]). I cannot detect any
[t] realization of the preterit here since the
[?] would have eat it up.

On the other hand "He ups and dies,"

is less likely to be reduced to

/hi^pmdaIz/

because the consonant cluster reduction which
takes place in /pt/ is less likely in /ps/, since
/p/ and /s/ do not share the feature [+stop].

Of course, we can never be sure when phonology
does not turn around and bite us in the butt so
that our underlying representations change (as
larry has so elegantly shown us recently with our
spitting images).

dInIs