Walt Whitman's baseball quote (surely not 1846!)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Jul 11 18:31:50 UTC 2004

The quote is in the 1988 movie "Bull Durham" (Susan Sarandon as narrator
quotes Whitman at the end of the film), so the idea that Whitman said it is
at least a year older than what's in Newspaperarchive.

If Whitman actually said it, the "repair this losses" phrase suggests that
it dates to around the end of the Civil War, ca. 1865.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net