Walt Whitman's baseball quote (surely not 1846!)

Tom Kysilko pds at VISI.COM
Sun Jul 11 22:34:08 UTC 2004

The Sarandon character concludes her quotation of Whitman with a quotation
of Casey Stengel: "You can look it up."  Years go I took that challenge,
and finally found the passage, if I recall correctly, in Whitman's
diaries.  I do not recall the date, but I  think that if it had been
pre-Civil War I would have noticed.  Anyway, if no one beats me to it, I'll
attempt to repeat my search when I have a chance.
--Tom Kysilko

At 7/11/2004 11:31 AM -0700, Dave Wilton wrote:

>The quote is in the 1988 movie "Bull Durham" (Susan Sarandon as narrator
>quotes Whitman at the end of the film), so the idea that Whitman said it is
>at least a year older than what's in Newspaperarchive.
>
>If Whitman actually said it, the "repair this losses" phrase suggests that
>it dates to around the end of the Civil War, ca. 1865.

   Tom Kysilko        Practical Data Services
   pds at visi.com       Saint Paul MN USA
           http://www.visi.com/~pds