Odd expression: "screw the pooch" = get things all fouled up

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Jul 20 22:22:44 UTC 2004

Yesterday I watched an episode of "Law on Order" and was surprised to
hear one of the detectives refer to someone who "screwed the pooch",
i.e., got something all fouled up. I had never come across this
expression before but find it on Google, e.g. "screwed the pooch on
Iraqi intelligence."

    Jonathon Green's _Cassell's Dictionary of Slang_ dates it from the
1960's, with a few variants. There doesn't seem much doubt that the
original reference was to bestiality, but how did this extend to "get
things all fouled up"?

    Back to Google: http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Kitty_20Pager