Odd expression: "screw the pooch" = get things all fouled up

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 21 15:56:54 UTC 2004

No evidence for "screw the pooch" has surfaced before "The Right Stuff."  It is now rather commonplace.

JL

"Rachel E. Shuttlesworth" <rshuttle at BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Rachel E. Shuttlesworth"
Subject: Re: Odd expression: "screw the pooch" = get things all fouled up

My favorite example of this saying comes from the film "Stand By Me",
based on a short story by Stephen King. Teddy says, "Gordy screwed the
pooch", I think. I'm not sure if the expression is in the book, too, but
I seem to remember the events are supposed to be set in the late 50s or
early 60s. I also think it's in the film The Right Stuff based on Tom
Wolfe's book.
Rachel

--

Rachel E. Shuttlesworth
CLIR Post-Doctoral Fellow
University of Alabama Libraries
Box 870266, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0266
Office: 205.348.4655/ Fax:205.348.8833
rachel.e.shuttlesworth at ua.edu