A nursery rhyme

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 21 17:30:17 UTC 2004

>Now that's a first for me!

I also (NYC, born 1945) grew up saying [ar at gan], with primary on the
first and secondary on the last syllable.  I too was ridiculed out of
it, along with my [a] vowel in "forest", "corridor", "moral", etc.
(when I was an undergraduate in Rochester, NY).  And I also natively
rhymed "forehead" and "horrid" as C[ar at d] in that particular rhyme
(which my mother was quite fond of), but I later spelling-corrected
"forehead" to the compound stress version (as in "car-head"), before
all those [a]s mutated into open o's.  So now I'm a
forehead-as-in-whorehead speaker, even though I know it's "supposed
to be" [for at d] as in "horrid" (with an open-o).  And I've switched to
[or at g@n]--still can't get that [i] for the middle vowel ("Orygun").

larry