A nursery rhyme

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 21 20:08:21 UTC 2004

>On Jul 21, 2004, at 1:30 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

>>-----------------------
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>>Subject:      Re: A nursery rhyme
>>--------
>>
>>>Now that's a first for me!
>>
>>I also (NYC, born 1945) grew up saying [ar at gan], with primary on the
>>first and secondary on the last syllable.  I too was ridiculed out of
>>it, along with my [a] vowel in "forest", "corridor", "moral", etc.
>>(when I was an undergraduate in Rochester, NY).  And I also natively
>>rhymed "forehead" and "horrid" as C[ar at d] in that particular rhyme
>>(which my mother was quite fond of), but I later spelling-corrected
>>"forehead" to the compound stress version (as in "car-head"), before
>>all those [a]s mutated into open o's.  So now I'm a
>>forehead-as-in-whorehead speaker, even though I know it's "supposed
>>to be" [for at d] as in "horrid" (with an open-o).  And I've switched to
>>[or at g@n]--still can't get that [i] for the middle vowel ("Orygun").
>>
>>larry
>
>Larry, the description of your former pronunciation of "forest," etc.
>sounds like a description of one of the features of St. Louis English.
>As a child, did you consider it hilarious if you could con someone into
>saying a number between 39 and 50, because "fort(y)" had fallen
>together with "fart(y)"?

No, I didn't know anyone who did this until I met someone from Utah
who claimed to pronounce "fort" and "fart" the way the rest of
pronounced "fart" and "fort" respectively.  For me, the vowel in
"forest" and that in "fort" were entirely distinct, the latter being
open o.

As for "FARRist", I guess there were no Omahans in Rochester, because
all the non-NYC kids at the U. of R. viewed that vowel as a
shibboleth of the NYC accent--in particular, in the context of the
"CARRidors"...er, corridors we lived on.

larry