Acme--two syllables or three? :)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Fri Jul 23 03:15:49 UTC 2004

I live in Akron, Ohio.  I moved here in 1971.  I grew up in Arllington, VA. 1947-1964.  I also had connections to Danville, VA. 1945-1966.

The word "Acme" is the name of a local supermarket chain in the Akron area.  It's been the hometown market since 1910 or so.

I just noticed that some of my contemporaries, who were born and raise here in Akron pronounce the name of the market as

    AK-a-me

I'm sorry if I can't do it in the right kind of symbols/letters so that you can understand it better.  The accent is on the first syllable, and they pronounce it as if it has three syllables.

Why do they say this?  Is it local to Ohio?

As an addenda, two out of the three people who say it this way are college educated and Jewish.  I don't know if that's any help, but it's factual.  All three are locally born.

Sam Clements