Acme--two syllables or three? :)

Fri Jul 23 15:43:38 UTC 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 7:25 AM, Kathleen E. Miller wrote:

> Pretty much the entire native population of south-Jersey calls it the
> AK-a-me, too.

it was widespread, but hardly universal, throughout southeastern
pennsylvania in the '40s and '50s.  my impression was that mostly
associated with older speakers (at that time), like my pa. dutch
grandmother (who used to take me to "the show" on saturdays --
sometimes vaudeville, sometimes movies), so it may well have
disappeared by now.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)