Poontang and Tagalog

Fri Jul 23 16:37:56 UTC 2004

I think that POONTANG is a verb of motion in Tagalog. This is not to say that
I am proposing an etymology here, though when in graduate school I first
discovered the Tagalog form I was delighted with fantasies of World War II
soldiers inventing a new slang term by borrowing while stationed in the Phillipines.
But if there are citations from the 1930s, then we'dhave to push this kind of
an etymological connection back to the Spanish American War Isoem 40 years
earlier).