Spelling errors as a reflection of non-standard speech

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 23 20:15:54 UTC 2004

At 1:06 PM -0700 7/23/04, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Isn't nonstandard "chimbley" relevant here?
>
>JL

and besides these more dramatic cases (chimbley, humble, chambre)
involving a stop between nasal and liquid, there are the subtler ones
in /m+s/, e.g. the widely attested "hampster"

larry