A children's punning/rhyming game

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jul 24 03:19:18 UTC 2004

Yes, I've heard it as Puddin tame myself. But, as I noted, I've run
across it in published collections of nursery rhyme. These books give
it as "Putting and ta'en." FWIW, I interpret "ta'en" as "taken,"
because of the apostrophe and the fact that "putting" and "taken," in
some sense, go together, though "putting and ta(k)ing" would make more
sense. But, who knows? Nursery rhymes don't have to make sense.

-Wilson Gray