A children's punning/rhyming game

Sean Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Sun Jul 25 06:53:03 UTC 2004

<<Anyway, are any of y'all white folk out yonder familiar with this?>>

Yes.  My father (b. 1920, Pittsburgh; grew up in Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and various PA towns) used to recite "What's your name/Pudding and tain. . . ."  to his children in the '50s.  I've also heard one of my aunts say it.  Their father, by the way, was from Baltimore and their mother from Minnesota.

I have a vague recollection of a British Isles folk song that uses "ask me again and I'll tell you the same".  But perhaps I'm thinking of the similar recursion of  "Ask me no questions/I'll tell you no lies", and "Bread and butter on the shelf/If you want any more, you can sing it yourself".

Seán Fitzpatrick
It's a Gnostic thing. You wouldn't understand.
http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/