"laid" and other random BE slang in the HDAS

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Jul 25 16:47:47 UTC 2004

>"Slave" = ordinary job has been around for a while, but I have not
>encountered it with "cut."  Any related terms?

Is "cut the X" comparable to "come the X" or "play the X" meaning "act
like/as the X"?

E.g., in HDAS: "come the old soldier", "come the possum" = "play possum".

And I THINK I've encountered all of these, although I may misremember: "cut
the fool" ?= "play the fool" ?= "come the fool". Google does appear to show
some examples.

Maybe "cut" can be used with more-or-less arbitrary X, as "come" and "play"
can?

-- Doug Wilson