Sweat Shop (1890)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 26 03:18:44 UTC 2004

Sam Clements found an earlier "sweat shop" than I'd posted, from February
1891. I'm doing a New York web page and I'm trying not to give him too much
credit.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
IN DARKEST NEW YORK.; Dreadful Places and Dreadful Things in the American
Metropolis.
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Dec 24, 1890. p. 5 (1 page)
:
_The Churchman:_ (...)
We must pass over his description of Jewtown and its sweat-shops, in which
miserable Jews spend eighteen hours a day at slop-work for the clothing
manufacturers, and from which clothing is often sent out leaded with the infection of
small-pox and typhus.