"laid" and other random BE slang in the HDAS

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 26 13:04:40 UTC 2004

Wilson,

No irony or sarcasm intended. Quite the opposite. I certainly would have defined "jump sharp" separately if the number of citations had warranted it and am most pleased to for any clarification of any entry.

As for Mezzrow or, more precisely, his collaborator, Bernard Wolfe, his orthography is perfectly standard.  It's his vocabulary that's remarkable.

I think Gerry Cohen reprinted the entire glossary once in "Comments on Etymology."

I was in college before I realized that "Brer" shd be pronounced "Bruh" (or even "Bro"?).

(My comment to Jesse was simply a good-humored  reaction to his lightning defense of HDAS.)

JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "laid" and other random BE slang in the HDAS

On Jul 25, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: "laid" and other random BE slang in the HDAS
> --------
>
> Go get 'em, Jesse!
>
> Wilson, thanks for the xtra "jump sharp." If I'd had more, it would
> have been in boldface.

Is the above meant seriously or ironically? Or, perhaps, even
sarcastically? I'm afraid that I've missed your point entirely.

> The classical text for "motherferyer" is Mezz Mezzrow's "Really the
> Blues." He uses it plenty. He also includes an extensive glossary:
> a typically mixed bag of the real, the plausible, and the bizarre.

Does he actually use "ahruhs" in his transcriptions of black speech?
Ain't that a pistol?! It must make his writings as hard to read as the
"Uncle Remus" stories. It wasn't till I was in my 40's that I
understood that whatchanamit was writing exclusively for a white
Southern audience that would have immediately understood that, e.g.
"brer" (or however he transcribed it) is not meant to be pronounced
"brair." And I'm still left with the problem of what is represented by
the string, "sezee." Not that I have any intention of reading the old
uncle's tales, in any case.

> JL

-Wilson Gray