Lawfare (1975)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 28 01:05:20 UTC 2004

Today was a brutal day in the room with no air. I'll try to stay awake to
find the keys.

GICLEE--I didn't type the full WALL STREET JOURNAL article. Someone asked
about this on Google Answers.

LAWFARE--For the lawyers here.

27 July 2004, WALL STREET JOURNAL, pf. A17, col. 2:

_Evidence That"Lawfare"_
_Was First Used in 1975_

In regard to Jeremy Rabkin's July 13 editorial-page essay on the "new" term
"lawgare": Brig. Gen. Charles Dunlap (staff judge advocate, Headquarters Air
COmbat Command, USAF) ahs written and spoken extensively on the topic of lawfare
ifer the oast three years.

A working paper by Gen.Dunlap, "Law and Military Interventions: Preserveing
Humanitarian Values in 21st Century Conflicts," was presented at the Carr
Center for Human RIghts Policy in 2001. That paper used the term lawfare and
descrbed its impact on the ability of the U,S, to conduct effective military
interventions.

According to Gen. Dunlap's paper, the first use of the term lawfare appears
to be in a manuscript "The Way Out--Readical Alternatives in Australia," by
John Carlson and Neville Yeoumams from 1975.

Carl Rhodes, Ph. D.
Associate Director
Aerospace Force Development Prgrams
Project AIR FORCE