A couple of examples of black-GI slang influenced by German

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Jul 29 04:38:06 UTC 2004

> >  Black generals
> >  finally *commanded,* instead of merely acting as the adjutants - a
> >  military term meaning approximately "manservants" - of white generals.
>
> Are you sure you mean "adjutant" and not "aide de camp"?  "Adjutant" among
> other things is an official position, the chief administrative
> officer of a
> unit, and the average officer who holds such a title and position
> is too busy with
> paperwork to have time to be a general's flunky.  The duties of an "aide"
> however vary from general to general and frequently involves
> being a manservant.
> (A riddle I once heard:  What's the difference between an aide
> and a chief of
> staff?  The aide also fixes coffee.)

A general would not be an aide de camp to another general. Aides are
typically up-and-coming junior officers. Nor would I describe an aide as a
"manservant." In the 18th and 19th centuries, aides would be the ones to
carry the general's orders to various subordinate commanders on the
battlefield. As such, they would have to understand, interpret, and explain
the general's orders and intent.

In the 20th century, an aide would be more accurately described as
"executive assistant." On occasion they might make coffee, but they are not
valets. Aides are selected because they are bright, young officers with a
future who are given a chance to witness and learn the high-level military
decision-making process.

The manservant role would be filled by an "orderly," an enlisted man who
takes care of the general's personal needs, shines his boots, brings him
meals, etc. Generals in the US Army no longer have orderlies, although they
do have drivers who may take on some of the traditional duties of the
orderly when not behind the wheel.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net