"Who-all" and "what-all"

Charlotte Pass CPASS234 at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 29 17:09:38 UTC 2004

As a native Southerner who grew up in the foothills of the Appalachians, I
certainly recognize (and often use) "who-all," "what-all" and "where-all".   My
extended family members have utilized these words as long as I can  remember.
 It gets really tricky trying to transcribe interviews with some  of them
because of sentences such as, "So, where all're youins goin' to?"   Most of the
usage is limited to questioning or to restatements of  questions.  Ex. - He
asked us whereall we'd been.  With regard to the  status of the hyphen, I must
admit that I've never seen these words in written  form.  In my "neck of the
woods" we limit their usage to oral  exchanges.  I would be curious to hear what
others have to say about these  words as well.

Charlotte L. Pass
The University of Alabama
College of  Education
Secondary Education Curriculum, Teaching, and Learning
204  Graves Hall
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487