A couple of examples of black-GI slang influenced by German

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 29 21:55:34 UTC 2004

Wilson, I've been running several WorldCat searches for a novel called "The Private," published between 1950 and 1975 and have come up with nothing on the one hand and "more than 10,000" irrelevant titles on the other.

Some library somewhere must have it, but it will be hard to track down without an author.

I read "From Here to Eternity" in high school. (NOT homework, obviously.)  It was great.
Twenty-five years later it was still great.

Jon

Wilson Gray <hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: A couple of examples of black-GI slang influenced by German

On Jul 28, 2004, at 9:28 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: A couple of examples of black-GI slang influenced by
> German
> --------
>
> Thanks, Wilson, for your thoughtful post. The Green Berets were
> another of the icons of Kennedy's New Frontier : super-commandos whose
> fighting and linguistic abilities, not to mention their sociopolitical
> savvy, were touted as America's toughest human weapons against
> Communism. It was a different and now seemingly exotic world in many
> ways, though drearily familiar in many others. It helped to be young
> and idealistic, of course - at least it did temporarily.
>
> Another word you may have been familiar with was "straightleg," or
> "leg": essentially anybody who was not "jumper." They might even go
> back to WWII, but there's no good evidence that I've seen.

It was still "straightleg" in my day. I knew the term before I joined
the Army from war novels (I'm basically a very quiet, non-violent -
some may even say "cowardly" - but I enjoy the hell out of experiencing
violence vicariously.) Unfortunately, I no longer recall whether those
books were about WWII or Korea. On the other hand, "From Here to
Eternity" is one of my favorites. Another good one was "The Private,"
which also had no combat scenes. It was a kind of WWII guy soap opera,
about how war can destroy your life, even if your experience of combat
is only what you read in Stars & Stripes. It had one of my favorite
closing: "I hate the Army!" Unfortunately, this was a paperback
original that didn't sell enough to attract much attention. Not even
libraries bought it.

> You know, I haven't seen "Platoon" since it came out in 1986. The
> best critics (i.e., the ones that agree with me) think it's a powerful
> "film experience" (i.e., movie), but cluttered up with lurid cliches.
> On the other hand, few 18-year old filmgoers in ' 86 had the awareness
> that they WERE lurid cliches. It certainly came closer to reality
> than, say, "Sands of Iwo Jima," a film that supposedly inspired more
> youg men to join the Marines than any other single influence. (For the
> Army, it was "To Hell and Back.")

Starring Audie Murphy, another native Texan.

> Around 1970, George Davis wrote a novel called "Coming Home" based on
> his experiences in the Air Force in Southeast Asia; it rang true
> enough. Otherwise (except for Wallace Terry's interviews in
> "Bloods"), black vets have written very, very little in the way of
> memoirs or fiction concerning the Vietnam War. Iusef Kumenyaa has
> written a memorable book of poetry, though. (I think he teaches at
> Indiana U. now.)

"Bloods" was the book that I had in mind. "Blood," though it's only a
shortening of "blood brother," was a popular "sporting name" for
second-rate, gold Thunderbird convertible-driving pimps. Big pimps
rolling in the once-standard "white on white in white" Cadillac
convertible sported ordinary names, like "Tommy." They didn't need to
front. In my day in L.A., at least. Today's names of the type parodied
on SNL make me knot up: "Pimping Kyle," "White Chocolate," etc.

Thanks for the cite re Davis.

> Old saying (circa 1968):
>
> "The only difference between a fairy story and a war story is a fairy
> story starts out, 'Once upon a time' and a war story starts out, 'Now,
> this is no shit...'.

That's great! I love it!

-Wilson

> [...]
>> It appeared that the interracial millenium had finally arrived. When
>> you read the memoirs of black Vietnam vets, it's astounding to see the
>> pride and joy with they served side by side with their white
>> brothers-in-arms. However, when you read the memoirs of white vets,
>> you
>> see that, to them, the black troops were merely the same old niggers
>> that they'd always been throughout American history. Even in war
>> movies like "Platoon," it's only the black soldiers who are shown
>> cracking under the pressure of combat, not the white soldiers who are
>> forced to save the lives of these worthless black fools.
>>
>> -Wilson Gray
>>
>> On Jul 26, 2004, at 7:20 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>>> -----------------------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>>> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
>>> Subject: Re: A couple of examples of black-GI slang influenced by
>>> German
>>> -
>>> -
>>> --------
>>>
>>> Thanks for the post, Wilson. Most of these are new to me. I have
>>> heard white GIs refer to "hitting the /strass@/." West Germans
>>> are/were referred to as "comrades" as indicated. By the '70s this had
>>> been reduced to "rads."
>>>
>>> JL
>>> Wilson Gray wrote:
>>> -----------------------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>>> Poster: Wilson Gray
>>> Subject: A couple of examples of black-GI slang influenced by German
>>> -
>>> -
>>> --------
>>>
>>> "Bop the strahss" : go for a casual walk or stroll along the
>>> sidewalk(s) through town, just checking out the happenings, wherein
>>> "strahss" is clearly based on German "Strasse" street.
>>>
>>> "Put the shprekken on [someone]" : a host meanings, such as, provide
>>> someone with needed information; run a confidence game on someone;
>>> tell
>>> someone like it T I tiz; attempt to seduce a woman; tell someone the
>>> latest rumor or gossip, etc., wherein "shprekken" is clearly based on
>>> German "sprechen" speak.
>>>
>>> "Cumrad" : like "Comrade" [< G Kamerad] Mil. in W. Germany a German
>>> as
>>> in DHAS, but otherwise different. In WWII movies and comic books,
>>> Wehrmacht soldiers shout "Kamerad" and, perhaps, show a white flag,
>>> as
>>> a sign of surrender. Since then, black GI's have used "Cumrad" as the
>>> essential, insulting term for "German" in any context whatsoever,
>>> like
>>> "Kraut" used by white GI's. "Cumrad," however, is both singular and
>>> plural, plus collective and individuative.
>>>
>>> Hence, we would say, e.g. "I was going to bop the strahss, till I saw
>>> Cumrad." I was going to go for a walk till I saw how many indigenous
>>> personnel [the official military term] were on the street. The