"Who-all" and "what-all"

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Jul 30 21:00:19 UTC 2004

Hmmmm! In my southern Illinois ute, we said

olly, olly oxen free

I suspect the oxen is just a spelling variant, but we really did say
"olly," homophonous with "Ollie," definitely not "ally," at least if
that first vowel is meant to be that of "all" (for those who
distinguish the two, that is, as all from southern Illinois do.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor