childhood rhymes

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Sat Jul 31 15:32:55 UTC 2004

I only know the 4-and-20 rhyme as the ending of "One, two, buckle my shoe,"
which we chanted while trying to bounce a ball non-stop without grasping it
or losing it (I can still do it!).  Let's see if I can remember it:

One, two, buckle my shoe
Three, four, shut the door
Five, six, pick up sticks
Seven, eight, lay them straight
Nine, ten, a big fat hen
Eleven, twelve, dig and delve [incomprehensible to us kids, of course]
Thirteen, fourteen, maids a-courting
Fifteen, sixteen, maids a-kissing
Seventeen, eighteen, maids a-waiting
Nineteen, twenty, the larder is empty
Twenty-one, twenty-two, my old shoe,
dressed in blue, died last night at half-past two
Twenty-three, twenty-four, last night at half-past four
twenty-four burglars came up to my door;
I opened the door and let them in;
I knocked them down with a rolling pin!