Make no small plans (1921); Rich is Better (1937); Bronx Cheer & Razzberries

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 2 06:50:55 UTC 2004

MAKE NO SMALL PLANS

   I took another look (using the newly digitized Chicago Tribune) at "make
no small plans" or "make no little plans," allegedly said by Chicago's
legendary architect Daniel Burnham.  There's nothing early that I can see.  I also
looked for "think big."

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Our Greatest Man, in Two Stately Volumes
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Nov 6, 1921. p. F1 (2
pages)
Second page (Pg. 10):
   "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. . . . Aim
high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical fiagram once recorded
will never die. . . . Let your watchword be order and your beacon beauty."
(II., 147.)
(_The Wit and Wisdom of Daniel Burnham_, from the new biography by Charles
Moore--ed.)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Iowa City Press Citizen - 10/4/1921
...on my typewriter. Hei it is: "MAKE NO SMALL PLANS they have NO magic to
stu.....explo-jlaie to catch-thc tricksiers. SMALL TOWNS AND FARMS "What Cheer..
Iowa City, Iowa Tuesday, October 04, 1921  767 k

Wichita Daily Times - 7/27/1922
...at my machine. Here it Is: "MAKE NO SMALL PLANS they have NO magic to
stir.....evidence of growth should enlarge and MAKE more plain and possible of..
Wichita Falls, Texas Thursday, July 27, 1922  542 k

Soda Springs Chieftain - 8/7/1930
...of the world, uttered these "MAKE NO LITTLE PLANS they have NO to ktlr
men's.....themselves will NOt be realised. MAKE big PLANS. Remember' that our
sons..
Soda Springs, Idaho Thursday, August 07, 1930  813 k

Denton Journal - 9/7/1935
...its planned bcautification: "MAKE NO LITTLE PLANS; they have NO magic to
stir.....is the duty of the patrol." MAKE NO LITTLE PLANS There are many towns
and..
Denton, Maryland Saturday, September 07, 1935  838 k

Lima News - 3/3/1938
...this inspirng sentiment: "MAKE NO LITTLE PLANS; they hare NO magic to
stir.....and your beacon beauty." The LITTLE PLANS are important, but MAKE them..
Lima, Ohio Thursday, March 03, 1938  829 k

RICH IS BETTER

RICH IS BETTER--2,110 Google hits, 1,170 Google Groups hits

   "I've been poor and I've been rich.  Rich is better."
   This line is frequently attributed to both Joe E. Lewis and Sophie Tucker.
 I thought the Chicago Tribune would have something.  It didn't, but this is
pretty good.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
The Post's New Yorker
By LEONARD LYONS. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: May 12,
1937. p. 13 (1 page) :
   At the Tavern Mrs. George S. Kaufman urges a noted theatrical figure to
accept the movie offers being tendered him.  "Listen, and take my advice," she
urges.  "Don't overlook the money part of it.  I've been poor and I've been
rich.  Rich is better!"

BRONX CHEER

   Another "Bronx cheer," through Chicago.  See ADS-L archives for this and
the following term.
   I worked only 8:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m. today in a room with no air in the
Bronx...Thanks for not pointing out the typing mistakes in the last post.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
HEARKEN TO BECKETT
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Feb 10, 1923. p. 13 (1
page) :
   _"Bronx Cheer" for Joe._
   New York, Feb. 9.--(Special.)--Reports from London that Joe beckett had
made the announcement that he had signed articles to meet Jack Dempsey in New
York next July or August for the world's title evoked little more than guffaws
in local fight circles today.

RAZZBERRIES

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Display Ad 1 -- No Title
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Nov 1, 1917. p. 2 (1 page)
:
(Victor Records--ed.)
The Darktown Strutters' Ball--Fox Trot--Six Brown Bros.
Razzberries--One-Step--Van Eps Trio...75c