british vs. north american englishes

Orin Hargraves orinkh at CARR.ORG
Wed Jun 2 20:27:54 UTC 2004

>a colleague asks if there is "a good overview work comparing British
>and North American Englishes".  assuming that this colleague is
>interested in the standard varieties, and in all aspects
>(pronunciation, grammar, orthography, lexicon), and wants something
>short, i've recommended chs. 2-4 of trudgill & hannah (2002), the 4th
>ed. of International English.
>
>any other suggestions?

If I might cast all modesty aside, may I recommend to your colleague my own
book on the subject?

Mighty Fine Words and Smashing Expressions
Hardcover: 320 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.09 x 9.62 x 6.28
Publisher: Oxford University Press (New York); (December 2002)
ISBN: 0195157044

I should warn that it does not treat pronunciation. Orthography is treated in
the first chapter, Grammar in the second, and the other chapters (9 plus
appendices) deal thematically with the lexicon. The book mainly contrasts
British and American English; some other dialects are treated cursorily in an
appendix.

Orin Hargraves