"Pop-Pop" revisited

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Jun 3 15:39:55 UTC 2004

And one more:  If she did say Papa, that's not far from Papaw, which IS
grandfather in much of the Appalachian/South Midland region (Mamaw is
grandmother).  In fact, I've heard Papa and Mama used for grandparents too,
but rarely.

That doesn't negate your suggestion that Pop Pop might also have wider
currency, of course.  The books I have on British English don't deal with
lexical variation very much, but I wonder if anyone knows whether either
Papa/Papaw or Pop Pop is used in Britain?

And Rowling does rhyme with bowling, in her pronunciation.