"Pop-Pop" revisited

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Jun 3 21:29:06 UTC 2004

Ah, but that's a whole nother set--mormor, morfar, farmor, and farfar (I
think I have them right--mother's mother, mother's father, etc.).  My
sister is mormor to her grandson, but her husband (were he alive) would be
morfar.  I've never heard pa-pa used for grandfather among Scandinavian
Americans, but I've been away from Minnesota for a long while.  (My
colleague, who knows Finnish and Swedish pretty well, says his Finnish
in-laws use Pa-pa for g-father, but he's never heard Swedes do so.)

But I do think Richard Harris may have been misheard as saying PApa (same
vowels), which seems very English to me.