"all stove up"-- "I feel so break-up"

Sat Jun 5 00:20:50 UTC 2004

On Jun 4, 2004, at 5:00 PM, Sam Clements wrote:

> Carl Sandburg's "American Songbag" version was "break up."  I checked
> in a version on Amazon "inside the book."

i'd be interested in hearing the recording lomax made in jamaica in the
30s.  like, was there actually a [z] in "Cap'n's trunk"?  a [v] in
"I've ever been on"?  a [t] (or glottal stop) in "don't"?

the Beach Boys' printed lyrics have "want to" on its first occurrence,
but "wanna" thereafter.  hmmm...  they also have "let me (go home)" all
the way through, and i *think* that's right for the version they sang,
but there might have been some instances of "lemme" in the jamaican
version.

such details vary from performance to performance, of course.

arnold