The Sloop John B.

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jun 5 21:40:13 UTC 2004

As Larry Horn suggested, there is more than one version of The Sloop
John B. as sung by The Beach Boys.

There's a Beach Boys version with Brian singing lead in which he
clearly sings, "I feel so broke up."

There's a Beach Boys version with Carl singing lead in which he clearly
sings, "I feel so break up," undoubtedly the version with which Larry
and I are most familiar and, therefore, clearly must be regarded as the
canonical version.;-)

There's a Beach Boys version with both singing lead in which one sings
"break up" as the other sings "broke up."

  There is a Beach Boys version with the words, "broke in the captain's
trunk."

There is a Beach Boys version with the words, "broke in the people's
trunk."

Further searching would, no doubt, yield further versions with still
more variations in the words.

-Wilson Gray