"hot dog"--Sam Clements' 1937, 1939 attestations

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Jun 6 21:26:36 UTC 2004

To add a new quote to the mix, and to try to convince people that the use of
the terms to refer to the bright young men who worked for Felix Frankfurter
was possibly a continuation of the "hot dog" term used about individuals in
the 1890's? and picked up again in sports in the 1950's and later, I offer
an earlier cite.

11 April 1934  _Monessen(PA) Daily Independent_   4/4 (Newspaperarchive)
>From the syndicated column called "National Whirligig"

<<If all the stories around town are true, Dr. Wirt got himself all hot and
bothered over the theories of a much newer group.
    This is the band of proteges that Dr. Felix Frankfurter planted in a
score of periscope positions in the New Deal.  Most of them are in Federal
legal divisions.  They answer to the name either of Young Liberals or Hot
Dogs.  They have pulled quite an oar in a more or less unobstrusive way.  In
many respects they're carrying on for the Brain Trust but they weren't in
the first draft.>>

I think they were being called "hot dogs" because of being given
responsibilities at a young age that in other times would have been given to
older hands.

Sam Clements