"Evil Empire" (June 8, 1982; March 8, 1983)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 9 02:46:59 UTC 2004

ADS-L appears to be down for the day, but I'll try this, anyway.

EVIL EMPIRE--222,000 Google hits, 83,600 Google Groups hits

(GOOGLE)
The Reagan Home Page:Evil Empire Speech... Advertisers may or may not share
political views with Townhall.com. '); '. The Evil Empire. President Reagan's
Speech to the House of Commons, June 8, 1982. ...
www.townhall.com/hall_of_fame/ reagan/speech/empire.html - 50k - Cached -
Similar pages

Modern History Sourcebook: Ronald Reagan: The Evil EmpireBack to Modern
History SourceBook. Modern History Sourcebook: Ronald Reagan: Evil Empire Speech,
June 8, 1982. President Reagan: Speech ...
www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1982reagan1.html - Similar pages

Ronald Reagan... Annual Convention Of The National Association of ......
Orlando, Florida. March 8, 1983. This is the "evil empire" speech that was so
often quoted as defining my attitude toward the Soviets. ...
www.ronaldreagan.com/sp_6.html - 37k - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE)
http://www.tysknews.com/Articles/empire.htm
Seventeen Years Ago This Week, Ronald Reagan Called the Soviet Union the
Focus of Evil in the Modern World. The 'Evil Empire' Speech Disturbed the
Political Universe, but the Critical Words Almost Went Unsaid.

President Reagan's Evil Empire Speech, often credited with hastening the end
of Soviet totalitarianism, almost didn't happen. According to presidential
papers obtained by The Morning Call, Reagan was thwarted on at least one earlier
occasion from using the same blunt, anti-communist phrases he spoke from the
bully pulpit 17 years ago this week. And former Reagan aides now say it was
their furtive effort in the winter of 1983 that slipped the boldest of words past
a timid bureaucracy. With clever calculation, the Evil Empire Speech eluded
U.S. censors to score a direct hit on the Soviet Union. "It was the stealth
speech," said one Reagan aide. In the spring of 1982, the president felt the
reins on his rhetoric. The first draft of his address to the British Parliament
labeled the Soviet Union the world's "focus of evil." He liked the text. But
Parliament never heard those words. U.S. diplomats and cautious Reagan advisers
sanitized the text of the speech, removing its harshest terms, according to
documents from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Calif. But
nine months later, Reagan spoke in Orlando, Fla., and delivered many of the
passages deleted from the London address. His Orlando speech is known as the
Evil Empire Speech. The speech alarmed moderates of the West, delighted millions
living under Soviet oppression and set off a global chain reaction that many
believe led inexorably to the fall of the Berlin Wall and to freedom for most
of Eastern Europe. The Reagan Library papers provide fascinating insights into
the drafting of what may have been the most important presidential statement
of the Cold War. They also reveal that, despite the unremitting influences on
him, the president himself decided what he would say. "Letus be aware that
while they preach the supremacy of the state, declare its omnipotence over
individual man, predict its eventual domination of all peoples of the Earth, they are
the focus of evil in the modern world," Reagan told the National Association
of Evangelicals on March 8, 1983. An audience of 1,200 was first to hear the
words "focus of evil" in the Citrus Crown Ballroom at the Sheraton Twin Towers
Hotel in Orlando. And other phrases slashed from the Parliament speech were
resurrected in the Evil Empire Speech.
> » The 1982 first draft said, "Those cliches of conquest we have heard so
> often from the East are ... part of a sad, bizarre, dreadfully evil episode in
> history, but an episode that is dying, a chapter whose last pages even now
> are being written." The sentence was censored in London, but in Orlando Reagan
> said, "I believe that Communism is another sad, bizarre chapter in human
> history whose last pages even now are being written." » The London first draft
> included the words of the late British novelist C.S. Lewis: "The greatest evil
> is not in those sordid dens of crime that Dickens loved to paint. ... It is
> conceived and ordered ... in clean, carpeted, warmed and well-lighted offices,
> by quiet men." The words were held until Orlando.
> (...)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)(1086 hits for "evil empire")
    1.  Tarzan
EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles,
Calif.: Oct 4, 1936. p. 4A (1 page)
(Cartoon panels--ed.)
SADLY THE JUNGLE LORD FORESAW THE GROWTH OF A VAST AND EVIL EMPIRE WHICH
SOMEDAY MIGHT THREATEN HIS OWN DOMAIN.

    2.  MR. CHURCHILL'S PLEA
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Mar 7, 1946. p. 18 (1
page):
   Mr. Churchill is so honestly an Englishman and so honestly a conservative
imperialist that the incongruity of the remedy he suggests for the situation
which he helped bring about quite obviously escapes him.  He proposes an
alliance, half slave and half free, with the British empire representing slavery.
He comes really as a suppliant, begging assistance for that old and evil empire
and frankly expecting to get it on his own terms.

    3.  AMERICA IN BAD COMPANY
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Nov 20, 1946. p. 20 (1
page) :
   In the peace conference and in the United Nations our government is in
intimate association with the great and evil empires.  It is not our
responsibility or duty to reform them but it is our privilege to dissociate ourselves fro
mtheir enslavements and oppressions.

    4.  Other 48 -- No Title
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sep 4, 1949. p.
D6 (1 page)
(BAD HITS!  "Force of Evil" and the Empire Theatre--ed.)

    5.  Other 6 -- No Title
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sep 5, 1949. p.
A2 (1 page)

    6.  Mesquite, Tex., vs. 'Evil Empire'
By PETER APPLEBOMESpecial to The New York Times. New York Times (1857-Current
file). New York, N.Y.: Jan 23, 1982. p. 7 (1 page)
(Video games--ed.)

    7.  Excerpts From President's Speech to National Association of
Evangelicals
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 9, 1983. p. A18 (1
page)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM (370 hits for "evil empire")
Tri City Herald - 1/7/1968
...HANGS THE FATE OF BALDA HAN AND HIS EVIL EMPIRE. _ NEXT WEEKTo Arms..
Pasco, Washington Sunday, January 07, 1968  567 k

Nevada State Journal - 1/7/1968
...HAM69 1MB RATE OP BAiPA HAM ANP HIS EVIL EMPIRE. MCXT J. PIERPONT
6R066INS..
Reno, Nevada Sunday, January 07, 1968  557 k

Bradford Era - 3/9/1951
...bullet for bullet and smashed their EVIL EMPIRE ZERO HOSTEL' TED de
CORSlA..
Bradford, Pennsylvania Friday, March 09, 1951  605 k

Bismarck Tribune - 6/16/1954
...hunt that finally destroyed their EVIL EMPIRE 'KIUERS-FOR-HIRE'-ANDTHE
MWI..
Bismarck, North Dakota   Wednesday, June 16, 1954  539 k

Progress - 5/14/1951
...AFTER CLUE THAT FINALLY SMASHED THEIR EVIL EMPIRE with ZERO MOSTEL
EVERETT..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania Monday, May 14, 1951  681 k

Chronicle Telegram - 9/27/1979
...We trained for 30 years to fight the 'EVIL EMPIRE.' We trained to break
things..
Elyria, Ohio Thursday, September 27, 1979  518 k

Chronicle Telegram - 9/12/1979
...pierce what comes across as a Tobacco EVIL EMPIRE, the tone is as sinister
as..
Elyria, Ohio Wednesday, September 12, 1979  500 k

Bismarck Tribune - 6/15/1954
...hunt that finally destroyed their EVIL EMPIRE 'KIUERS-FOH-HIRE'-ANDTHE
MAN..
Bismarck, North Dakota   Tuesday, June 15, 1954  638 k

Wellsboro Agitator - 10/13/1948
...MILLAND AMERICAN BEYOND SAINTED "SO EVIL EMPIRE..
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania Wednesday, October 13, 1948  717 k

Lethbridge Herald - 9/5/1957
...is deployed at last, and as the EVIL EMPIRE of Hitlerism is now
visibly.....founder and editor for V) years of the EMPIRE Renew, died in a Wimbledon..
Lethbridge, Alberta Thursday, September 05, 1957  940 k

Hampton Chronicle - 6/7/1951
...hunt that finally destroyed their EVIL EMPIRE. Arrange Details Of The
July..
Hampton, Iowa Thursday, June 07, 1951  679 k