[porsh] and other British English (was: Coup de grace)

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Jun 10 19:53:48 UTC 2004

I suspect the source of the problem is that we hear these terms more than
we read them.  So, if  the prevailing pronunciation has no 's', and if one
might have heard or seen "foie gras," the 'gras' is carried over to "coup
de gras."  I wonder what people do with "coup d'etat"?  I also suspect none
of these French words have individual meaning for most English speakers
(gras, etat, grace, mardi, even coup); the phrases are just picked up whole.