Slam Dunk (Safire said 1976?); OT: David Shulman, NYPL to get my home

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 12 18:17:09 UTC 2004

In tomorrow's "On Language" column in the N.Y. Times, William Safire cites
the OED's 1976 first use for the term "slam dunk."  Here's earlier from
Newspaperarchive:

1971 _Kennebec Journal_ 14 Jan. 12  West's 20-foot jumper, only his second
field goal of the game, and Alcindor's slam dunk over Baltimore's West Unself
gave the West a 102-101 lead with 3 1 2 minutes to go.

Fred Shapiro

   No one remembers what I'd posted on ADS-L?  No one?
   I had planned to re-check "slam dunk" and "point guard" and a few other
terms when the LOS ANGELES TIMES digitization (now at March 1964) advances to
this time period.
   It's the NEW YORK TIMES and it's Safire and I'm banned from correcting him
every week, so that's how it goes.  Yeesh, what a life.
   On 6 August 2002, I posted this (ADS-L archives):

The Associated PressMonday, August 5, 2002; 10:22 PM LOS ANGELES ––
Play-by-play announcer Chick Hearn, who made phrases like "slam dunk" and "air
ball" common basketball expressions during his 42-year career with the Los
Angeles Lakers, died Monday. He was 85."Chick Hearn passed away at 6:30 this
evening," Los Angeles Lakers spokesman Bob Steiner told a hushed news conference
outside Northridge Medical Center Hospital, where Hearn was taken Friday night
after suffering a fall.Hearn fell Friday in the back yard of the Encino home he
shared with wife, Marge. The two would have celebrated their 64th wedding
anniversary on Aug. 13.Surgeons operated twice on Saturday to relieve swelling in
his brain, but he never regained consciousness.Whether Hearn was the most
famous Laker of them all can be debated, but his career with the team was far
longer than such standouts as Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, Magic
Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jamaal Wilkes, James Worthy and Michael Cooper.And
he was calling games long before current stars Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe
Bryant were born.Hearn called a record 3,338 consecutive Lakers games starting in
1965 before missing one because he had to have an operation in December 2001
for a blocked aortic valve.While recovering, he fell and broke his hip.Hearn
returned to work April 9 and broadcast the Lakers' playoff run to their third
consecutive NBA championship.He called his first Lakers game in March 1961. His
last game was June 12 when the Lakers beat the New Jersey Nets 113-107 in East
Rutherford, N.J., to complete a sweep of the NBA Finals and earn their ninth
title since moving from Minneapolis in 1960.During the finals, he told The
Associated Press he was getting stronger every day and planned to work at least
one more season. And he said he believed his call of the Lakers' Game 7 victory
over Sacramento in the Western Conference finals might have been as good as
any in his career.As recently as last week, he drove to Las Vegas with his wife
to speak at a fantasy basketball camp.Born Francis Dayle Hearn on Nov. 27,
1916, in Aurora, Ill., Hearn peppered his rapid-fire delivery with terms like
"no harm, no foul," "the mustard's off the hot dog," "ticky-tack foul," and
"faked him into the popcorn machine."Whenever he believed a Lakers victory was
clinched, Hearn would say: "You can put this onein the refrigerator. The door's
closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard and
the Jell-O is jiggling."

    A few weeks later in August 2002, I'd posted this:

AIR BALL
   28 March 1976, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 165:
   "One time I even shot an air ball; that's how slippery the ball was."
(There is also a 1975 basketball hit, but I couldn't spot the "air ball" in
it in my quick reading.  The first hit here and the next one in 1977 come from
college basketball, not the Los Angeles Lakers--ed.)

SLAM DUNK
   7 December 1972, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 108 ad for SPORTS ILLUSTRATED:
   "...Julius Erving, he of the reverse slam dunks."(That's how I remember
it.  Julius Erving, of the ABA Virginia Squires

OT: DAVID SHULMAN, NYPL TO GET MY HOME

DAVID SHULMAN--He had trouble breathing and he just entered the hospital
again.  This is what I do when I'm not doing parking tickets.  It's a wonderful
life.

NYPL TO GET MY HOME--For only the past ten years or so, I've been trying to
get the NYPL's Research Library to correct an outdated web page on "the Big
Apple," and the Chicago Public Library to correct an outdated web page on "the
Windy City."  In a normal world, these corrections would be done in five
minutes.  In the real world, you beg for ten years and no one listens to you.
   When I "Big Apple Corner" was made law in 1997 and both of my parents died
that year, I approached the NYPL twice to donate money and to correct the web
site on "the Big Apple," adding the historic materials at last to the web,
where people can see them.  No one responded.  Last month, I received a form
response--after seven years--that the NYPL just "couldn't do it."  Even for free?
 Yes, they can't do it even if it would cost the NYPL nothing.  There was
still no response on correcting its outdated web page, which had just fooled
Google Answers.
   I asked the NYPL to take my home, forcing me to leave New York and
formally ending the 12-year "torture a scholar" program.  There are only two
requirements: (1) That the NYPL never honor me or the memory of my mother or father,
and (2) that the NYPL never acknowledge any of my work, on "the Big Apple" or
anything else.
   Yesterday, I got a response from an NYPL ("the People's University")
attorney.
   The NYPL will agree to take my home.